SM2 is built on a constantly expanding database of all social media conversations that we refer to as our Social Media Warehouse. We started collecting, via a variety of methods, in 2007 and have what we believe is the largest database of social media conversations and associated meta-data (demographics, location, popularity, etc.). The Warehouse currently has over 1 billion records and we are adding millions daily.
The sources (which we are constantly updating and adding to) include:
- All major and minor blog platforms including WorkPress, Typepad, Live Journal, Blogger, Blogspot, Sphinn8r etc., including comments
- Any other blogs with RSS feeds, ping servers, etc.
- Any publicly available social network content including Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, Orkut, Ning, LinkedIn and more
- Any comments and meta-data associated with user-generated rich content like YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo, etc.
- All public wikis
- Non-password protected boards, forums and review sites including everything from BoardReader
- Microblogs including Twitter, Plurk, Identi.ca
- Commenting systems: Backtype, Disqus, Intense Debate
As new sources appear they are incorporated into our collection systems.